Monday, October 1, 2007

PROVERBS

PROVERB: A short sentence often repeated, expressing a well known truth or common fact, ascertained by experience or observation; a maxim of wisdom. One of the things my children enjoy the most about eating chinese food is the fortune cookie that we get at the end of the meal. They each take one and open it quickly to see what the little piece of paper inside will say. Then they try to decide if what they got really fits them. They say things like, "Oh, that sounds just like so-n-so" or "Man! I wish I'd gotten the one she got." (That usually happens when the paper says that fame & fortune are on their way). It is always fun to see what each person gets. However, there really are people in this world that live their life by these "sayings", which are referred to as chinese proverbs. There are even some who live by, what we call, old wives tales. You know,..."a stitch in time saves nine" and "A watch pot never boils" ... things like that. Though some of these have great meanings, and may even provide a little wisdom, it is still earthly. It is man-made. For the past few summers now, I have made it a rule with my children that no one gets to eat, play, swim, watch TV, or whatever else there is until they read the Proverb for the day and quote the memory verse that I have chosen from the chapter. Of course, the Proverb I'm referring to is a book of the Bible, located between Psalms & Song of Solomon. You might wonder why I'd do that. Well, let me explain... Real wisdom, Godly wisdom comes from the Word of God (KJV). I want my children to be wise. Wisodm will give them "the skill needed to deal with certain situations and the ability to discern between what matters and what doesn't." This is what Solomon was asking for when he asked God for wisdom. God rewarded his request by giving him a knowledge that far exceeded anyone else around. Because of this wisdom, people would travel for miles to seek his counsel. I am so thankful that God inspired him to pass some of his wisdom on to us through his Holy Word. The beginning of all wisdom is..."the fear of the LORD" (Prov. 1:7). This is not a fear that causes us to live in terror, but a fear that is reverent. A fear that causes us to live a life that is holy and righteous because that is what our GOD is. In order to be wise, we have to begin with a right relationship with the Lord. Lost people can have skill, and smarts, and be clever, but this wisdom that is in Proverbs can only be achieved by those who belong to God and have the right kind of relationship with him. When we reject wisdom and instruction, and refuse to fear the Lord, we are foolish. Someone who would ignore wisdom is just stupid. The Bible calls them a "fool". When you lead a life that is absent of God's wisdom and instruction you will never have any peace. When you purposely refuse to heed God's Word you have no one to blame but yourself when the consequences come. (Gal.6:7) There is a day of reckoning coming. When you stand before God and remember wisdom's call to righteousness (Prov.1:24) you will wish you had heeded God's Word. Prov. 1:24-33 "Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them."

No comments: