Thursday, July 2, 2009

Watch Your Step!

I John 2:10 “He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.”

Last week I attended Jr. Camp at Camp Victory, in Somerset, Kentucky. I was privileged to hear several men of God preach. One evening, I listened to the man of God preach to the young people that they needed true repentance in their life if they were to ever have any type of walk with the Lord. He the gave them “Seven Proofs of the Repentant Life.” As I listened to him, and watched him, he paced back and forth across the platform, and I began to notice something. A small rug, that been placed beneath the pulpit for extra cushion kept rolling up in front of him, each time he passed it. He would turn and kick at it a little, so as to flatten it. This was so that he would not trip over it next time he passed that way. However, it seemed each time he passed it, he managed to catch the rug somehow and it would roll or wrinkle up again. Finally, he wearied of it, bent down and fixed the rug completely so that it would lie flat. Furthermore, I noticed, from that time on he kind of “side-stepped” that area or took a taller step so as not to let it happen again.

This was truly an example of this man’s life, for those of us who know him. Though I don’t even know that he ever gave the rug a second thought. This man of God speaks with regret when he talks of his life before he was 21 years of age. However, he was saved back then and has served the Lord faithfully now for 50 plus years. He would be the first to tell you that his life has not been a perfect one, and that he has even stumbled, and fallen a time or two. But today, his testimony is a shining light to those who choose to follow in his footsteps.

Psalm 37:23 says, “The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD; and he delighteth in his way.”

Though the illustration may seem silly to you, it spoke to me. I have four children whom I love dearly. My heart’s desire is for them to grow up and serve the Lord with their whole heart. I am also a Sunday School teacher, and I love my students very much too. I want to see them serve the Lord, as well. Do I pay close enough attention to the steps I take each day? Do I kick at that wrinkle in life just enough to keep myself from falling down? Or am I the type of person who takes the time to stop and fix the wrinkle completely, remembering even to side-step that “problem area” the next time I have to walk that way so that those who are following me (or watching me) will not trip? How about you? How many people have stumbled over the wrinkles you have left in the rug? According to Evangelist Preston Griffis’ life example, all you have to do is bend down, fix the problem, and walk on. And while we’re there, we might want to help the others who have tripped over the mess we left behind. It’s just a thought.

Isaiah 57:14-15 “…”Cast ye up, cast ye up, prepare the way, take up the stumblingblock out of the way of my people. For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.”

No comments: