Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Press Toward The Mark

(Phil 3:13-14) "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."
As a mom, I know that every child is different. Even though your children may have physical similarities, every child has their own unique personality. I have four children, and they have four distinct personalities. What may come easy to one child, does not come easy to another. For instance, I have one child that school just comes easy to. To them, school is just a place they are made to go until summer comes. Tests are of little concern to them because they always make A's regardless of how much they study. They listen in class, they remember what they hear, they take the test,......so what's the big deal? On the other hand, I have one that hates school. They work hard, study twice as long, and barely get a B. And then, just every so often an A comes along. It seems that they try harder but the grade is never what they hoped for.
Recently, my youngest was getting ready for a test. His Grammy knew he had been working hard. For added incentive, she told him that if he brought an A home on ANY test, she would bring his lunch to school from the fast-food restaurant of his choice. The next day we were driving to school when my oldest daughter asked if she might be able to get the same deal from me. I said, "No." She asked me why, and I explained that she was older and quite capable of making good grades if she applied herself. Plus, she was not the one in need of this particular kind of encouragement right now. I thought I was waxing philosophical when I said, "The grade is its own reward.You should study hard and listen in class. When you pass, you should have a sense of pride that you earned the grade through your hard work." My daughter responded, "Well, doesn't that just mean I'm not a prideful person? And isn't that a good thing?" I laughed so hard I couldn't answer her.

As Christians, our goal is to strive to be like Christ. We have to "press toward the mark". To some, it may come easy. While others may struggle daily to get there. Sometimes we watch other people and wonder why it all comes so easy for them and why we have to work so hard at it. Christians are not supposed to meander through life doing as little as possible to get by. We are supposed to work hard!

Also, there are times when the Lord blesses someone, and we may find ourselves asking why He can't do the same thing for us. It is not that the Lord can't do the same for all of us, it is not that He can't give us what we want, it's just that His will for you is not the same as His will for me. There are lessons I have to learn one way, and you have to learn them another. He equips each of His children with the tools and/or skills necessary to complete their test. Our job is to use them, to the best of our ability in order to "press toward the mark." I want an A+!!! I probably won't get it because I am a dirty, rotten sinner who makes mistakes all the time, BUT I am going to do my best to achieve it anyway. In the end, I get to go to heaven, and that is the ultimate reward! Here on earth, it may not look like I have much to some, but the Lord has been ever so good to this little sinner girl and I thank Him for it. I owe it to Him to run the race to best of my ability. If we trust Him, he will take care of our needs. I love that I can take my empty cup to Him every day and He will fill it until it overflows with more than I deserve to have. Now, my cup may look like a "tea cup" to you, while someone else may have one of those "bubba chug" things but when God fills the cup, it doesn't matter what size it is, it is still FULL.
(Lamentations 3:22-24) "It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is they faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him."

No comments: