Thursday, November 8, 2007

IMITATORS & COPY-CATS

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery."

This is an old saying I used to here when I was a child. However, if you have ever been the victim of the "copy-cat" game, you might not agree with the above statement. Did you ever play the "copy-cat" game when you were younger? This is the game where a person just randomly walks up and starts to repeat everything you say, word for word, or copy your actions, or both. Usually, younger siblings like to play this with their older siblings. I say, usually, because I know that older siblings know how to torment too. (Ask my older brother) However, in this game the younger ones find it funny and the older ones find it annoying. It can be a never ending game if the younger one refuses to tire of it. The game typically will go something like this... "Mom, he’s copy-catting me," says the older sibling. "Mom, he’s copy-catting me," says the younger one. "You better leave me alone," says the older sibling. "You better leave me alone," says the younger one. "MOM! Would you please tell him to stop!" says the older sibling. "MOM! Would you please tell him to stop!" repeats the younger one. "I’m telling you, you better leave me ALONE!" says the older sibling. (Younger one now grinning) "I’m telling you, you better leave me ALONE!"repeats the younger one. "MOM! WILL YOU PLEASE MAKE HIM QUIT IT!" cries the older sibling. (There is usually a little giggling about this time by the younger one) "MOM! WILL YOU PLEASE MAKE HIM QUIT IT!" repeats the younger. (Are you weary of this game too?) At some point the older one either pounces on the younger one, or you will hear a calm reply from Mom who says, "Alright. That’s enough, stop tormenting your brother or sister." Now that I am grown and have children of my own, I try to find unique ways to end this game. For instance, I might say to the older one, "You know, you should be complimented that he or she loves you so much that they want to be just like you." This will sometimes detour the one doing the copy-catting because they immediately get defensive. "No way! I don’t want to be like them, I was just having a little fun." Which (if you know the rules of "copy-catting") ends the game. But there have been times when I have said, "Then you best be careful what you do while they’re "copy-catting" you, so that you do not teach them some bad habit." In life, we are all "copy-cats" or imitators. Unless you are the original designer of something, then the only way you can wear it, cook it, look like it, or whatever it may be, is to copy what someone else has already thought up. I know women who hate to tell you their recipe for something because they don’t want anyone to be able to copy it. Or they will tell you all but one ingredient so that it is similar but not exactly the same. Why? Well, because that is their "specialty" and they like that they are known for it. I also know people who do not like to tell you wear they bought that new outfit because they don’t want anyone to have the same clothes as they do, or perhaps buy it and look better in it. The fact is that when we see something that we think looks good, we tend to want to have it too. I even know people who get on this blog and like what they see or read so much that they try to imitate it in their own blogs. I love that! I think it is cool that someone would get on my blog and take my ideas and use them on theirs. But, there may be folks out their who do not like to be "copy-catted." Do you know what the definition of Christian is? CHRIST LIKE. You will never BE Christ, but as Christians we are to strive to be "like" Him. Basically, you "copy-cat" Him. I guess I better say here that it is supposed to be from the heart, not just for appearance. Titus 2 is FULL of God’s instructions on how the aged men are to teach the younger ones, and the same instruction is given to the aged women for teaching the younger women. I Peter 4:4 says, "Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:" You will come across some who will think you strange for being "Christ-like". They may mock you for your stand or your standards. They may scorn you for your beliefs. It is possible that you will suffer some for trying to be "Christ-like." I Peter 4:16 says, "Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf."

On the other hand, there will be some who will see that you are different and they want what you have. They want to know peace, like you have. They want to know happiness, like you have. They want to know joy, like you have. All of these things that can only be found in Christ. And they will watch you and perhaps "copy-cat" you a little because they don’t know any other thing to do. Remember this, "Your walk talks, and your talk talks, but your walk talks, more than your talk talks." Be careful that you are not just a talker.

Maybe you feel like someone is "copy-catting" you today. It may be your walk, your talk, your dress, or your actions. Whatever the case may be, you better take heed. When someone "copy-cats" you, it is because they see something in you that is absent from their own life. It is, in fact, a compliment.

No comments: